Can be defined as the process of providing facilities and services for visitors to a destination in order to gain economic and other benefits. Responsible Tourism is which (given below) and we expect same thing from you.
- Minimizes negative economic, environmental and social impacts,
- Generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well being of host communities,
- Improves working conditions and access to the local industry,
- Involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances,
- Makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage embracing diversity,
- Provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues,
- Provides access for physically challenged people,
- Is culturally sensitive, encourages respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence,
- Is integrate in the local ecosystem etc.
Things that Responsible Tourism is not:
- Responsible Tourism is not another form of ‘niche tourism’ – Responsible Tourism is about the legacy and the consequences of tourism – for the environment, local people and local economies.
- Responsible Tourism does not only take place in protected natural environments – Any tourism business, whether located in a thriving metropolis, a mountain, rural village, sub-tropical island, medieval town – can be a Responsible Tourism operation.
High Spirit Trek’s Concern with Responsible Tourism:
Employment creation increasing foreign currency earnings, Tourist contributions to the multiplier effect - the additional revenue created in an area as a result of tourism expenditure.
Direct employment - occurs in hotels, airports, airlines, tour operators, travel agents, and tourist offices.
Indirect employment - occurs in industries that serve the travel and tourism industry.
Environmental education - this is usually through visitor centers. This information helps the tourist understand the reasons for conservation and encourages them to respect the environment. Conservation Environments improvements Preservation of wildlife habitats Regeneration - is used to preserve heritage sites.
Promoting cultural understanding enhancing the image of an area creating a national identity.